The Books I've loved in 2020...

Hello my lovelies, 

I am back with my second blog post of Blogmas! 

For this post I really wanted to share the books I have adored this year, in all honesty there have been many books this year that I have rated five stars and would probably rate higher if that was possible.

As Christmas is just around the corner I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to give you some inspiration if you're struggling to decide on what to put on your wish list. 

I'll go in order from the the start of the year until now, of course, there are still a few weeks until 2021 so there may be more favourites and if there is you can see them over on my Instagram: @chloeoliviawilson

Let's get started...

Verity

I absolutely adore this novel. I started the year off with a bang because of this book. It was perfect. It is one of those books you just cannot put down, I was constantly sat on the edge of my seat, ahhh so good. I may have to re read this in 2021.

I borrowed this from my best-friend Ruby and she highly recommended this to me and it was the perfect book to start off the year!

The Heartstopper Series

Before 2020 I had never picked up a graphic novel but these are so lovely and heart warming! The story follows Nick and Charlie and it is the perfect LGBTQ+ storyline. 

This year I really wanted to branch out my reading and instead of always reading the same romance novels that include heterosexual couples, I decided to extend my reading and I have absolutely loved it. 

The Heartstopper series touches on many different story angles; there is an aspect of romance, friendship and I just loved the idea of the characters going on a journey. I cannot get enough of this series and I am counting down the days until the new volume comes out in May.

Five Feet Apart  

I have spoken about this novel so highly since I read it. There is something about romance novels with an element of illness that really hit me hard. I always reach for them and then get my heart broken but this genre is so important. I have learnt so much about illnesses and how they impact individuals and their families. 

This story is heartbreaking but I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend that people read this! 

The Places I've Cried in Public

I adored this book. It really opened up my eyes to toxic relationships and how people within relationships can impact you mentally and how you can really ignore the red flags when you're invested in someone.

I hated the male main character, Reese, he is awful and I hate how he treats Amelie. 

I highly recommend this for anyone who is looking for a young adult book that is easy to get into. Holly Bourne is one of my all time favourite authors, her writing really hits deep and she explains issues and life stages in such a creative and personal way. I adore it!

Cilka's Journey 

I adore books that go back in time. Especially those that are based around the wars and what went on because it is so interesting to learn. Again these books are absolutely heartbreaking but they are so eyeopening and I find it interesting to see how times have changed and also to hear the stories of people who struggled or were treated horrendously. 


I am just so interested in history and if you are too, I think these kind of books will be perfect for you to read.

The Keeper of Lost Things

The Keeper of Lost Things is a story about finding joy in all the little things in life. Every item you find has a back story and I loved that in this story, there was so many amazing little stories woven throughout.

This was such a cosy, feel good novel. If you're looking for something to get cosy with on the sofa with a lovely hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate, this is for you! 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

What a novel! This is definitely in my top five books that I have read in 2020. After reading this I wanted Evelyn Hugo to be a real actress because omg I would love to meet her in person! What an amazing woman and story line. 

I discovered Taylor Jenkins Reid this year and I am obsessed with all the books I have read from her collection. So many amazing story lines and such creativity.


Another book I have adored by Taylor is Maybe in Another Life... AMAZING! This book is all about not knowing what will happen tomorrow. Every decision we make literally changes the course of our lives. Wow, this novel has really opened my eyes to reality and how everything that happens in life, happens for a reason!

Another novel I highly recommend.  

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder Series 

This is one of the first novels that I read that was sort of crime/thriller. Of course it's a young adult series but I loved the aspect of trying to find out who did it... This really sparked a love for me in this genre. 

Following Pippa on her journey of discovering what had happened in her small town was so exciting and I couldn't put it down and for me the second book was just as good. So much detail and so many exciting twists constantly kept me reading! 

Reasons to Stay Alive and Notes on A Nervous Planet - Matt Haig 

2020 sparked a whole new love for me in non-fiction novels. I love a great non-fiction novel and these two are my favourites in particular. 
I have really struggled this year with my mental health and like many others I have been doing everything I can to give myself some love and self care. These books were the perfect ones to get me thinking about my health and how I should look after myself more. 

Matt Haig has a way with words, he is so real and so sharing that it's really nice to read. I feel like a friend was constantly on my shoulder when I was reading these books. 

The Hating Game 

This is the best book I have read all year. It had me smiling from ear to ear, constantly hoping that the two main characters would fall in love. I again didn't want to put the book down. I am a huge fan of a romance novels and this just ticked all the boxes for me. 
 

The story was cheeky, exciting and I officially want a Joshua Templeman in my life!

Diary of a Confused Feminist

I loved this book :) I wish this book existed when I was 13/14 and going through high-school. It's all about female empowerment and femininity and being you. This book had so many deep topics for a young adult novel but I loved that part of it because they are important topics that I wish I knew about when I was a young teenage girl not knowing what life can throw at you.

If you want a heartwarming, female empowering novel, this is for you!

This Time Next Year 

This book is so wonderful and cosy and heartwarming. I love a novel where all the characters go on a journey of self discovery; Minnie, Quinn and their parents all went on a journey in this story and that’s what I loved most. 

The romance was equally as good, not one cringey  moment and I enjoyed that because romance novels can sometimes be really cheesy whereas this was the perfect balance of life and love. 

And thats them all! I hope you have been able to take inspiration from these! Sorry for the long post today, I just have many books that I have absolutely loved this year.

Anyway, I'll be back soon with another blogmas post...

Love always,

Chloe xxx 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Travel Playlist:

Taking life at your own speed limit...

How I keep myself motivated with Online Uni