My university experience so far...


After being at university for almost two months, I've decided to write a little post on my experience so far. I love university, the studying style is so different and enjoyable, I've met some of the greatest people but also some of the not so greatest people, I've moved away from home and had a few struggles but I'm getting there and its so worth it.

If you are thinking of going to uni, just give it a shot. I've always wanted to go to uni since I was young and knew I either wanted to study in teaching or something to do with writing. After doing Media Studies in high school and college I quickly fell in love with writing more and more and found a new love for wanting to become a journalist.


So anyway, I'll stop telling you my life story haha, but this is my experience so far. I hope it helps you if you're deciding to go or even if you just want to see how I'm getting on.

First of all, when I first joined uni I didn't think I would get homesick. I knew I would be able to go home whenever I needed to, seeing as I live half an hour down the road from home, but homesickness really is a thing. I'ts a big step moving away from home and generally a big step moving away from all the people you love. I'm really close to my parents and at first when I decided to come to the University of Central Lancashire, I was more excited then scared and I didn't realise how much I genuinely would miss them. There are many obstacles that you bump into along the way... some people just aren't your cup of tea!
With homesickness comes settling in. I love the fact that I've been able to create my room the way I wanted it... pictures of friends and family around the room, colour schemes and everything. (A room tour will be coming soon :)


Moving away from home makes you experience so many highs, but also so many lows. You're alone in a city where you know no one. Yes you make friends but it's like you have no one you can cry to and I must admit, I've done my fair share of crying whilst here. Or even just a cuddle... sometimes you just need your mum and your normal surroundings at home.
There have been highs such as attending events like BBC Radio one in Preston and meeting celebrities and people from the industry of Journalism which is crazy so early on but also so rewarding and lovely. You must take every opportunity that comes your way... with that you have so much more fun at uni. There are also lows... some people do bring you down, they are different than you are and don't always have the same morals that you do and to be honest, some are just not mature enough.


You have a new sense of independence. This is the one thing I was excited about when I first came to uni. You can do what you want, when you want. You have your own money, your own responsibility and it's crazy that when you leave home, you have to do everything for yourself. Well, my mum still does my clothes washing but that was her choice hahaha.

Lastly, the degree work load. Uni work isn't always an easy ride. On my course, I have to write assignments every week, have fortnightly tests and then the odd assessment on practical work. But because I'm studying a subject that I love, for some reason the work load is bare-able and I'm not finding my self stressed which is really helping with my mental health. I find my subject so interesting, especially shorthand which is like learning a whole new language... I love it!


So, overall I really am loving university. The course is much better than I expected (even though I thought it would be amazing anyway) and I'm happy in my surroundings. I do love going home though hahaha.

If you have any tips and tricks about your uni experience, please leave a comment or tweet me @chloewils23

Stay tuned,

Chloe x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Travel Playlist:

Taking life at your own speed limit...

How I keep myself motivated with Online Uni