My visit to the Big Apple - New York:


My whole life I dreamt of visiting New York City. I watched many films located in the heart of the city, fell in love with Gossip Girl and my lust to go there grew stronger. In January, I got the opportunity to visit the states with my friends from college as part of an academic trip. My dream came true. With our A-levels coming to an end it seemed right to head away on this once in a lifetime opportunity. 


The only issue we encountered was when we arrived the water system in JFK airport was broken so the airport was flooded. Everyone got evacuated and we didn't receive our luggage for the whole trip! This meant on the first day we had to spend most of our time buying new clothes, which I mean is fun but when you only bring a budget of money, it kinda sucks... luckily we received our luggage back in Manchester when we arrived home.

So let's get onto the fun parts of the trip.



We stayed in Maddison Square Gardens in a hotel called Hotel Pennsylvania, with an actual American lobby, I know that sounds strange but when I used to watch 'The Suite life of Zach and Cody' as a kid, I always dreamt to see the  big American lobbies where people relax. It even had a shop inside and a cute little cafe area that sells the best Caramel Macchiato a girl could wish for. Within the hotel I shared the room with three of my friends from college. We had the best time. We played cards, watched tv and had such a laugh. I would definitely recommend this place to stay... I mean the only downfall was the fact that they have connecting doors that you could open but were bolted, which was kinda scary and then there was a large wardrobe to hang your clothes, the ones we didn't have haha, but it had no light. So it was a room that wasn't needed and oddly scary because it was dark.



We were in the centre of all the New York Deli's which was amazing! This meant we got really nice bagels for breakfast and at such a cheap cost. If you ever find yourself in New York, you must try one of the deli's! We walked everywhere which was good. Everything was relatively local but we did have the odd time where we had to use maps to navigate us. Me and the rest of the group were pretty much surprised at the weather – we thought it was going to be chilly due to the time of year, but it was actually kinda mild air, meaning that there was a breeze. Some days we definitely needed a coat and scarf and hat but most of the time I got warm. 


I think New York is a place where you can walk and walk without wanting to have a break… enjoying the long streets and boulevards, sightseeing at the World Trade Centre and the memorial for the Twin Towers and of course going to Liberty Island to see her stood with her flame.



Times Square was my absolute favourite place. All the pretty lights and the scenery of adverts around you, honestly its the prettiest sight to see. I love photography so it made for amazing photographs of the city. 


I would absolutely love to go back to the city again... to see so many more sites that I didn't get to take full advantage of. Such as Central Park; it was such a short trip that we couldn't fit everything in and I'm so gutted I didn't get to see the true heart of New York. Also, I would absolutely love to visit the Empire State Building. I saw it and took many pictures, but I think it's more so me being there and taking it in. Lastly, Brooklyn Bridge, again I saw it from a distance but I would love to walk along it or at least see it at a closer look.



Overall, New York lives up to my expectations. Actually they over exceed my expectations and I can't wait to travel there again in the future... My ambition as a journalist is to travel write.... so you never know. More New York blogs could be coming soon.



I hope you enjoyed, this little chunk of my adventure to the states. I'm having really bad holiday blues and so wish I was there right now. Keep your eyes peeled for a blog post on more things New York soon!

Chloe x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Travel Playlist:

Taking life at your own speed limit...

How I keep myself motivated with Online Uni