Tim Burton's remake of Disney's Dumbo:

(Image created by Al_HikesAZ, from Flickr)

I went to see Dumbo in the cinema on Tuesday and I have to say that it is now possibly my new favourite Disney film. It takes you on such a journey from start to end! Before writing my review I wanted to see what others thought of the movie and I was shocked to see that many in fact didn't like Burton's remake of the 1941 original Disney classic.

Well my opinion is entirely different.

When I first heard that Tim Burton was creating Dumbo I was a little shocked as on screen his film making is normally much more spooky. With creations like Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice, I didn't know whether his take on dumbo would be effective. However, his style of production is just right for Dumbo. Dumbo is a story of a loving baby oddity elephant, who like other of Burton's characters, is welcomed, humiliated and oppressed by the society around him.


Disneys sweet and innocent approach runs well with Burton's idea of cruelty and it makes for an emotional remake of the classic, with emotions flowing from the get go. Tears flowed many times throughout the film!

The cast of humans rather than animals was a winner for me. Danny DeVito played such an amazing part in the film as ringmaster and a some what conman and it was such a nostalgic feeling to see him back on screen, when I personally haven't seen him since Matilda. Micheal Keaton performed as a great Disney villain that you hated from the minute you saw him on screen, team Dumbo all the way! But also, Colin Farrell played the wounded war vet who came back to the circus after war to be with his children, he played a fantastic role in the idea that he related closely to Dumbo due to him being part of the otherness category as he too had a disfigurement on screen. However, I personally don't think that this idea was adapted enough of screen.

Dumbo himself. The CGI in his character is phenomenal! His big bright blue heartbreaking eyes are the main reason the audience fall to tears because when he cries, the audience cries too! We cannot forget his huge floppy ears, so cute! When Dumbo took flight you cling to your seat in hope that he can do it for the circus and then when the audience claps, you also feel like you should applaud too. The film makes you have a sense of proudness for a character that in essence isn't even real. The production team also made great use of sound effects for Dumbo's character, me and my mum were sure we could hear him say mum when his mother was being taken away, which made us cry even more!

Plenty of the original story remains but with many new aspects to the movie. New areas include the bubbles scene in the film where close ups of dumbo entice the audience. The real Burton aspect of this movie was when Dumbo entered Burton's Dreamland and thats when the movie was a completely new performance.

I rate this movie a solid 10/10 and would definitely go to see it again!

Love you always,

Chloe xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Travel Playlist:

How I keep myself motivated with Online Uni

Taking life at your own speed limit...